22 June 2008

left a mark on my face.

california left me with a sort of refreshed feeling like when you get out of an ice cold shower in summer. shockingly invigorating and grounding.

family I hadn't seen in years gathered to celebrate a graduation, and we welcomed him to the rest of his life.

the rest of your life.

He will soon be working at a winery in napa... mmmm, napa.

Car rides through the valley of california lead us from sac to the bay then on to I-5 to get to patterson and then gilroy for a final reunion of cousins and their mom (my aunt).

this is what the middle of nowhere looks like.


View Larger Map

I love these boys, Joe and Thomas. The closest in age in the whole slew of family, and the best to be around. We ate at Chevy's and had giant margaritas in the hot sun and felt good to be with family.

cousins.

Train took me to Mission where I began a twennie-four hour adventure in the so-called "sucka free." Gracious guides Baca and Drew showed me the ropes, fed me antelope and the best tacos ever, and gave me enough reason to want to move back.

From there it was on to los angeles for a few days of relaxing. a sweet tour of the colleges and claremont, the huge city itself, and then a day at the beach left me never wanting to leave california. the garment districts and other areas of downtown I found totally fascinating in their historic grandeur and lack of glamor. We made our way to the bradury, a totally amazingly beautiful building, and the spot for some scenes of blade runner.



the bradbury

got to see a little bit of that devin and that willbur of intelli, sipped on a bit of that Anjilinaka spro, and continued on our way. beaches. guacamole. top model recaps and hgtv loafing.
freshly freckled and worn out from the heat, I came home.




my cat, bruce, greeted me with a present upon my return.
he made his first outdoor catch. a dove. it lay half alive, twitching in the bloodstained and feather strewn hallway. my dear friend erik disposed of the bird outside, where bruce immediately ran to toy with it for a few more hours.

r.i.p. bird.

No comments: