19 July 2007

portland (deux)

hellos alls. I am reporting via telepathic wireless brain wavery (aka WiFi) at Crema in ye olde Portland. This is just one of the several shops I've been in and out of this past week, all supplying me with more caffeine than I can handle, which only sends me towards lunch spots, pastries, and the finery breweries this city has to offer.

and now, the recap:

- The Albina Press
This has been my local spot since I've been here. Only a few blocks from Margaret's and amazing baristas, I can't help but hit this place up at least once a day. It reminds me so much of Aurora (VaHi) - partly due to my own visiting frequency and partly because of the great staff. I've already created some solid relationships... Rita has been a dream to hang out with, and Josh an excellent barista.

- Coffeehouse NW
Downtown small spot offering great latte art and a barista overflowing with knowledge/information on his interpretation of his own palate...

- Stumptown @ Ace Hotel
Wow. Visited twice. The decor is amazing. An incredible space, seemingly posh due to its super cleanliness and dark wood... the baristas seemed out of place though. Hard to explain... In any case, the TWO machines to serve the two baristas so that they can both make drinks was impressive. Not to mention limited seating, allowing for a more traditional "drink it at the bar" experience.

- Stumpton - Division Street
The premiere shop of the Stumps, and a fine experience indeed. After a cup of the Ethiopia Misty Valley, Jim invited me to check out the new location for all of the roasting equipment. It used to all go down right there, but now they're coming back to the original spot right there in the space behind the shop on Division. Jim roasted some small batches and I looked on with awe. This is the same guy from the Annex who knew what Honey Coffee was (he'd been there!) and has even spoken and met with my soon to be teacher, Izake Katshuide. A small world, indeed.

- Crema - coffee house and bakery
"Single origin espresso" and delicious in-house pastries and other baked goods makes for a nice visit. The best part about the place though is the space. It's been here for a minute and it shows some age, but cloudy-blue and cream colored paint with the light birch wood gives a clean and open-air feel. The garage-style windows are a nice trouch, too.

M and I have been having an awesome time hanging out... tonight we're going for sushi at her restaurant and then seeing The Field and Strategy at a club (Haloscene, different but similar to MJQ). I'll probably see you all again on this hater-web-net when I get to DC on Sunday. Until then, keep in touch. I miss you all so much.

No comments: