16 July 2007

I knew I shouldn't have waited until my 3rd day in Portland to write what I've been up to so far. I was worried that 8 days here would be too much, that I'd get bored with the city or not meet cool people and just stay in and watch movies all night long...

but no! it has quickly become just the opposite. It's a flood of information coming at me from all sides. The Katrina of Coffee Love has hit me and I'm swimming fast, keeping my head up, and waiting for the next wave. My plan for an eight-day coffee crawl has now become smattered with books stores (Powell's, so far I've just been to the small one in the SE, but good things indeed), movie houses, Japanese toy shops, local brews, house shows, and of course--amazing new friends.

Here's a run down on what I've had to taste so far:
- Espresso from Fresh Pot on Hawthorne.
The shop itself is connected to the small Powell's book store. A single row of two top table runs parrallel to the bar, stuffed with laptop bound internetophiles. Reminded me of the back wall at octane for a second. Somehow the Barista picked up that I was of his kind, and a quick chat led to a fantastic shot of espresso (Stumptown's Hairbender, of course). Sweet and mild, a great start to my journey.
- Espresso from Stumptown on Belmonte
Talk about impressive! The shop itself is a stunning work of architecture and design. Light grain wood with antique brushed silver accents, but not the cheesy ikea feel you can get from that combo. Think more along the lines of post WWII. Gorgeous. Oh, and the eight (I think it was eight, could be wrong) group machine is nothing but brilliant. Baristas- humble yet knowledgeable. Lead me to the annex next door for a chat with their Megan
- A cup from Stumptown Annex on Belmonte
Megan gave me a round up of the coffees available that day, about fifteen total. Since the opportunity was available, I had a cup of Colombia La Esperanz (COE #1) from the Clover. Delish. The decor in this facility, too, was phenomenal. Pictures to come, you drooling visual nuts.

And then there was this morning's cupping at the Stumptown Annex. Azia and Jim set up the cupping, and Stumptown's Director of Coffee, Aleco, along with one of their roasters, Bosco, joined in on the morning's event. I can't help but to exclaim at the viceral feeling of tasting coffees unlike anything you've experienced before, especially now that my palate is finally developing. I was particularly impressed with the Panama Don Pachi. If my memory serves me well, Aleco says it is the same varietal as the Panama Esmerelda. Beautifully floral with such a pleasant brightness, I was blown away. It stood out remarkably against the other coffees on the atble. Looks like I know what I'm picking up to bring home...

I'm off to switch headquarters. I've been in the south east for a few days, but the rest of my trip will HQ in the north, right close to Albina. The more friends I make, the less free time I have, and the richer the trip is turning out to be. Every corner in this city grows another treasure.

No comments: