31 August 2008

an ongoing affair

David and I used to joke about how as I grew into the coffee industry that all of my relatives would find some way to give me cheezy coffee knick-knacks for birthdays and holidays. And at that time we made some kind of unspoken agreement that he would refrain from buying me coffee mugs with cat heads or motivational phrases on them.

So when David gave me a Chemex this year for my birthday, you can undoubtedly say I was stoked. It was conveniently on the same day that Octane received its first shipment of the Thunguri Microlot from Nyeri, Kenya. I have a special place in my heart for Kenyan coffees... but this was something worth writing home about. The best way i could describe it was a plum covered in maple syrup with a little bit of salt sprinkled on top. I bought a 12oz bag of it and it was gone a day later. I couldn't help but just keep making it for everyone (not to mention I'm slightly obsessed with experimenting with my new brew device).

On top of all of this Kenyan excitement, David Lamont brought us by some coffees from the CC cupping on Friday-- all coffees from Aida Batlle's Finca Mauritania. I'd never had a "Pasa" coffee before, and was stunned at it's real raisin rum flavor. I love being surprised at what coffee can be... Thank you.

Excitement overflows as the new coffees come in...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what's your new brew device. I'm enjoying my Aeropress, even though our experiments with it were less than stellar. :( What's working for you?

danielle (atl) said...

It's a little three-cup Chemex. I know you were mentioning how you went for the Aeropress because it had an easier clean-up than a french press. I'm finding the same benefits with the chemex. It's also such a sexy design.. you can't resist it!

Unknown said...

hbd!

Dustin said...

The cheesy coffee knick knack thing? Yeah I'm the current victim. You should see my kitchen, it looks like most of the shops we deliver to, ha.