29 January 2008

cloverfied

As if perfectly in line with James Hoffman's blog post earlier this year, Honey Coffee has turned to strickly using the Clover for all coffee (instead of the french press). I think Izaki-san was inspired after I showed him this NYTimes article that was sent out on the Octane employee forum (thanks Josh). It gives a nice roundup of Clover's place in the coffee world right now. Unfortunately, Izaki is only using it as a machine, not an experimental device. Every coffee is at the same temp/brew time/brew amount. I've politely asked if hes thought of experimenting, and he says "a little." Maybe I'll do some experimenting on my own while the family is in Osaka this weekend (that is, if I am not joining them).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rad! We just visited some other baristas getting used to using the Clover as a brew method also, at the Starbuck's on 6th and Union in Seattle. They were so excited! I had a cup of Ethiopian Shakisso at that!

for experimenting, I like to start with adjusting the dose, some start with grind. If you can't change any of those variables play around with temp, there is a 4 degree difference from when the water leaves the spout to when it arrives in the chamber so don't forget to take that into account. Also, think about adjusting the chamber temp, you may need the password for that though..
questions..ask away.