07 February 2008

milk and cookies

They seem like an obvious combination, but when the topic came up at the end of dinner, Hidenori's and Yuko's faces went blank.

"You really dip cookies into milk???"

Uh... yes. How else would you eat them? I told them that most popular was the chocolate chip varietal, but that others like myself enjoyed the Oreo, or even the Kiddo if you swing the vegan way. At this, Hidenori immediately called his brother who was on his way home and asked him to pick up a pack of cookies.

Yasuhide returned with two rolls of chocolate chip cookies that measured less than an inch in diameter. I said they'd suffice, but that I'll make them some real american cohoclate chip cookies before I leave.

Hidenori started dropping them into his glass of milk and grabbed a spoon. He thought this was genius, as if he was the first to ever reinvent the american ideal of milk and cookies, but I soon reminded him of american cereal. Cocoa puffs seemed to ring the familiar bell, which then justified milk and cookies as an appropriate breakfast meal. Yum.

1 comment:

Maigh said...

Are you thinking Cookie Crisp?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_Crisp