25 February 2008

I've been back a week now. I can't help but count the days that pass, if not to just simply remind me that I was across the world those days ago. It's surprisingly easy to forget. If there is anything that is a reminder, its the lull and down-feeling I have adopted upon return. It has been an uphill battle regaining a sense of time and structure. My work schedule is sporadic, and Georgia allergies have my up late into the night... I can't help but feel helpless, as if the "what next?" question begs at every turn and all I can do is shrug. A sense of impermanence, transition, and limbo permeate my thoughts.

I cant concentrate on anything, so I find myself wasting time in the pages of the Internets. I have found larger clumps of my time spent leafing through old threads on coffeed.com, or browsing through blogs of baristas I've never met but maybe someday will, reading about japanese cooking on justhungry.com, and repeating Jose Gonzalez videos on youtube on an open browser page as I have yet to bring myself to purchase his records.


By the way, my cat watches TV and eats Japanese candy and sometimes plays the keys:


I dont know where I'm going with this. I guess I just felt a little obligated to not drop off the face of the Internet.

I'm working on new aprons. Inquire if you so desire.

4 comments:

Sara Grace said...

mr. gonzales is playing at variety this saturday. i've been looking for someone to come. let's goooo?

Nashville Coffee Society said...

Gotta' check out Little Dragon too. She was backing up Jose when he came through Nashville a few months ago.

Anonymous said...

Things that helped me make it through February with sanity in tact:

1. The dense chocolate cake featured on All Things Considered.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18912133

I made it with 70% Santander for Janet's valentine's day present, and it's already earned a place on Volta's menu.

2. New/old music: the new disc by Atlas Sound, Christopher Willits' Surf Boundaries (it came out last year and is the best record that Sea & Cake/Archer Prewitt/Sam Prekop never made), and Bruce Brubaker's "Hope Stree Tunnel Blues III", which is like a cross between Conlon Nancarrow's player piano work and early Reich phase music.

3. the archive of Improve Everywhere videos on youtube. Especially the 111 shirtless men invading abercrombie and fitch in Manhattan.

danielle (atl) said...

bruce brubaker is truly an inspiration. Thank you for the recommendation. Could this possibly be perfect music for competition? Perhaps, but then it would be stained with the blood of anxiety as my playlist was for SERBC.

as for the cake.. oh my god. I can only imagine. Youll have to keep some around when we are down for your opening ;)