03 February 2008

from beginning to end

We left by bullent train for Osaka around 7pm. It was just Yuko and I as Izaki and Hide left two days earlier to get settled in and practice. the three hour trip was smooth and effortless. I was reminded how much more i love riding the bullet train than flying, and my mind was put at ease when remembering i am taking a 7 hour trip to tokyo in just a week.

It was freezing cold when we got there. A little rainy and windy kept us moving fast to the hotel. The place was huge and dec'd out as a wedding location. I had a hotel room to myself for the one night there. It seemed luxurious at first, but quickly became lonely as I realized none of the six television channels were in English. A long bath made the night go by better. The place was built on a hot spring, so the bath water was natural spring water. Amazing.

The next day was strangely like the previous one where no coffee was provided nor could we find any decent places close by. This venue was even stranger than the tokyo one.. it was at the Osaka school of culinary arts, which seems appropriate, but the room was WAY to small. There were only 20 small stools available to sit on, and the rest of the folks had to cram in the tiny hallway outside and watch through the windows. Even worse was the layout of the competitors. The room was a long rectangle, and instead of placing the competitor stations at the head, the two were spread out lengthwaise. This created a neckpain experience as you could only watch half of the competitors depending on what side you were sitting at. Further humor came in the completely saran wrapped floor. Awesome. And no, these stools were not comfortable.

the floors at the osaka JBC

Performances varied as much as they did in Tokyo. I got to see the champion from two years ago perform, and he made it look so easy. His tables were clean and minimal.. only a couple of towels where they needed to be. no crazy place settings. A pro, no doubt. The crowds all squeezed in the room for this one.

two years ago champ

Hide's performance was noteworthy. He was quick and agile, well polished, and passionate to say the least. Later on I asked Izaki what blend they finally used for competition and he says he didnt know! It was a mistake blend from practice, but he says it tasted delicious so they went ahead and used it. What a champ. I wouldnt have such balls, but the judges say he did well. We will find out next week if he made it to finals. I wish I could be here for it..

Hidenori's caps

I met plenty of talented baristas and other coffee professionals from all over the country, many of whom will be at this year's USBC/SCAA. I'm a little nervous to say the least about seeing them on home turf. Izaki has talked me up so much, I only hope I can live up to his words.




Unfortunately, these are some of the last photos from my trip. That night my camera decided to take its last blow. Internal electrical problems seem to be whats up. Heading out to camera repair spot tomorrow.
My last photo to share is from dinner that night. It is black seasame ice cream. Oishi....

My last photo.

2 comments:

Nick said...

D.G., you're a badass!

I was just showing your blog (which I JUST found) to my g.f. Trish... she thinks you're a badass too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am the guy who talked with you at Honey Coffee and asked this page's URL this Sunday.

I read your diaries. You seem to spend fruitful days for your career and understanding Japan.

I also have interest in the result of Hide in the match. Well, their beans are so special and make my life flavorful.
Please try hard to perform in the final match in America. I am looking forward to hearing your name in news some month later.