31 January 2008

I've been loosing the roast battles lately. As expected, its a little difficult to explain the chemical processes of roasting to someone in a foreign language, as Izaki is doing for me. Instead, I watch his methods, apply them when I roast, and then cup the coffee to check the results. I am always smelling the beans with them... trying to perfect my detection of the moisture-totally-out-of-bean point. I've come up with my own terminology for much of the roasting process, but I'm eager to start looking through internet resources for more technical information on the process.

Alas, today there was no roast battle. Izaki and Hide left for Osaka early this morning for the second round of JBC Prelims. Surprise surprise, Izaki bought me a shinkansen ticket so that I can go see Hide's competition! I leave tomorrow evening and come back the following night. I went to Osaka two years ago and had my fair share of takoyaki and okonomoyaki... this time will just be for Hide. After the competition, though, it will be a quick last week before I leave.

Tonight, Yuka and two of her friends from work took me out to dinner for some of the best gyoza I've ever had. It was pretty beautiful inside with an open kitchen that was impeccibly clean. Starters included a salad similar to what Yuko makes in my bento every day (sauteed greens with salt and black seasame) and the best tofu I've ever had. It was soft like frozen yogurt but not as cold. Normally such smooth texture would make me turn my head, but this was incredible. The gyoza itself came out sizzling on an iron pan without four rows of 8 little gyoza, all hand made there at the restaurant.

gyoza.

oish.

More posting when I return from Osaka! Ganbare, Hidenori!

No comments: