12 January 2008

split days

I am living somewhere between a dream and reality. I am constantly struggling to find peace in my solitude while remaining humourous and lovable at all times. When I beging to simply look unhappy, I hear "are you ok?" and "are you bored?" and "are you homesick?" The only difference between saying yes or no is wether or not a tear comes to my eye, so I just say "No, I'm fine."

The first half of my day was like this. Pretty gloomy. I blame the weather. Its beginning to feel like winter again, and the sky was overcast with some rain. Business was slow, so I had no drinks to make, so again I felt useless. I noticed Izaki-san pull out the sample roaster, bringing a slight smile to my face. So I roasted my first coffee today. It was Panama Don Peppe. Roasted a little too light, and slightly missing its pre-noted chocolate and blackberry aromas and flavors. Alas, I at least am now familiar with the process. I understand where the smelling is important, where the listening is necessary, and where good eyes for color come to play.

The day was broken up with a very special and lucky visit to a nearby temple where a traditional wedding was taking place. It is very rare that Japanese take part in such tradition, so I was told I should feel very lucky! They let me take many many pictures, all to come to your eyes sooner or later... I felt a little awkward, perhaps it was because it was only highlighting my feeling as a foreign presence. Alas, after this, my mood was up a little, and I managed to pull out some strength for the rest of the day.

Dinner was probably the most amazing part of the trip thus far. I finally took part in eating the highly acclamined Hakata-style ramen. AND IT WAS AMAZING. Better than I could have ever imagined. I will go there again before I leave. At least twice.

Spirits are high with good food in my stomach, so I will retire now with a smile on my face. Goodnight, and see you tomorrow, friends.

No comments: