11 January 2008

one cappuccino, please

To be a good roaster, you must be an excellent cupper.
Today, Izaki-san and I spent time reviewing SCAA cupping guides and score sheets, analyzing each score section and methods to determine said scores. As in true Japanese style, we break everything down to a science of precision and accuracy. Everything from posture to vocabulary is important, and I am always standing to be corrected. I, the humble american student, can only learn from my wise japanese coffee master. I heard this phrase all day: stand up straight! A straight posture with a solid spine is good for your breathing when tasting. The japanese way is the perfect way, EVERY TIME. NO slacking, my friends.

So I start to cup the japanese way, I walk the japanese way, and now I begin to talk the japanese way. Today I fooled a native Japanese couple into thinking I was Japanese. My accent is perfect when I say, 'Excuse me sir, here is you cappuccino, please enjoy.' Of course, it is probably because I am saying this over and over. So, from this you infer that I serve many cappuccinos at Honey, and you are right in this assumption.

Honey Coffee is not a cafe, but a 'bean shop.' People buy bulk beans for their home, and while they wait for their order, they enjoy a cappuccino. Five ounces, one one-ounce S.O. shot. Today, we were serving a SO espresso from Aceh. Yesterday, it was Ethiopia Hamu. Yum yum yum. I have never spent this much time with SO espsresso before, and I have to say I was really intimidated. Now, the possibilities seem endless. The Japanese say 'Oishi.' Delicious.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...

S.O. 'spro! I'm so jealous...

Sara Grace said...

missss you!

David LaMont said...

How do you say "Single Origin Shot" in Japanese?????

I'm also curious about the "here's your capp..." phrase in proper Japanese. If they're correcting your posture I can only imagine how formal your "keigo" is going to be!

On a side note, what's the Mazzer Zar (giant $4000 bulk grinder) like? I've always wondered....

danielle (atl) said...

Single origin is the same in english as it is in japanese.. just add the accent :) as for here's your cap... "Doozo! Omatasesimasita! Cappuccino desu!" Yuko claps every time I say it, followed with "She is so skilled, isnt she? Shes an american barista etc....." I can only imagine the other staff must get tired of hearing about me.

Mazzer Zar? OH MAN. I need to make a single post just about the Zar. It is beautiful and SO FAST. I am a fast doser and I can only get out four taps before my basket is full. I just find it strange that they do not clean the grinder between different coffees...