03 July 2007

one third of a better person

M'lissa was intimidating and intense, I was sweaty and shaky, it was all of the suspenseful attributes of any Barista certification. But I emerged victorious and kicked certification's ass! Well, at least the first third.

The Coffee Boss hovered over me with her clipboard as I set the grind from random to perfect in three pulls, consistently dosed between eighteen and nineteen grams of espresso (with 1.2 grams of waste to spare!), and displayed my (still growing) abilities to throw down a heart in a macchiato, and a rosetta in a cappuccino and a latte. Next up: written exam (please, no scantrons), and a mock competition.


I can only hope I have started the trend at Octane to get certification under way. I want at least half of the staff to have the first part of BC finished before I return from my travels. It's great to see everyone getting excited about coffee, especially after our first Octane cupping yesterday evening. Granted, it was a "dress rehearsal," but M'lissa did a fantastic job at hosting her first cupping. Next Monday starts public cuppings at the shop, 7PM sharp. We're not only sipping on some delicious Counter Culture coffees, but other foods, drinks, and smelly and tasty items to work on that palate and sensory vocabulary we all have deep within our souls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Danielle! Thanks for taking that all important first leap and encouraging others to follow. Great job!

Anonymous said...

i wonder if i could pass this certification? it sounds pretty challenging. for the most part i just throw all that shit together to make a drink...