26 October 2007

Team Lounge

I'm sure many of you have seen the 2007 SERBC through various blogs in all of its glory and disfunction. Pictures and rants alike show it well. Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch what I considered one of the best parts of the whole weekend -- The Lounge. Ryan and Curtis's hotel room had a connected room that served as a hang-out for Counter Culture employees, teammates, and supporters. Here we met for breakfast, watched Family Guy, and detoxed from frazzled nerves. It's importance to me is subtle as it gave me a chance to bond with others in the coffee community that were not directly related to Octane.

I felt this same community during CoffeeFest Atlanta. That was possibly my first exposure to the coffee community in person, and it charged me with a desire to participate. Granted, CoffeeFest was designed as a trade show, but in the wings it facilitated dialogue and kinship. In this sense the SERBC, despite its obvious competitive nature, gave me a renewed excitement for the culture.

For my new and old coffee friends alike, thank you for the inspiration.

No comments: